Monday, November 06, 2006

You left me in Stitches!

Heaven is obscene amounts of yarn.
Yarn from floor to ceiling.

I either seemed to be underwhelmed or overwhelmed at big knitting events. This years Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival left me wanting more. I didn't see enough to really make my head spin.

I went to Stitches East in Baltimore this past weekend. Even though it didn't leave me with the feeling of amazement it left me with the first time I attended one, I was impressed overall. I think the highlight for me was finally getting my hands on a Lexie Barnes bag. I have been in desperate need of something in the Hermosa pattern for ages and ages. (black and white skull motif. It kind of looks like a cross between Day of the Dead sugar skulls and a doilie) I didn't just get a giant knitting bag (it was discounted because the pattern was printed upside down, it doesn't even look that odd even with the mistake!) But I also purchased three discounted project bags. I bought one for actual projects, one for paperback books (I hate ruining books in the bottom of my bag) and the third as a small makeup bag. I look like a walking advertisement for her company, and I love it! There is no one nicer who I would like to support with my purchases. I was able to speak to Lexie at length and look forward to one day going to see her showroom.

For the past year I've definately been burned out on the whole knitting scene. Besides knitting with those girls I'm close to (and you know who you are) I could have just cared less about everything else having to do with knitting. Even yarn didn't have the same appeal for me. But a magical thing happened at Stitches. I actually met like-minded people. I met company and store owners who were actually.....gasp....NICE! They liked talking to me, not because I spent $100's of dollars on their merchandise, but because we had similar ideals and they were actually NICE! (I need to say it twice because i'm so shocked) It gave me a new enthusiasm about knitting that I had not had in awhile. Not everywhere is Philly. New England, Upstate NY, Oregon, places chock full of nice laid back people. and lordy lordy....do they know their fiber!

And since i'm sure everyone wants to see what I actually got, pictures will come soon. I PROMISE! you can beat me with a stick if I forget again!

(well....i don't do it mainly because of laziness....not really because of memory)

i really need to get rid of this need for work so I can use as much time as possbile on my projects! up with knitting, down with work!

2 comments:

Mariss said...

I. AM. SO. FREAKIN. JEALOUS!

I WANT A LEXIE BARNES BAG TOO! (Read that in that voice of the whiney little girl in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory).

That's awesome and I'm glad y'all had a good time. xoxo.

Cirilia said...

Hiiiii! I'm sorry it's taken me so long to drop by and say hi! I JUST wrote about Stitches today.

I seriously second your sentiments about everyone at Stitches. Working at a place like Webs (if you come to see Lexie's awesome studio you have to come to Webs too, it's practically next door) sometimes sours the whole knitting thing for me. I'm just steeped in it. It's so good to talk to knitters like you, that's my favorite part of Stitches.

Be sure to check her website soon, we had a photoshoot last week and the new prints are cute--there is even an updated skull print =)